Thursday, December 20, 2007

"A Christmas Carol"


It was just after 4:30 PM yesterday when I got a phone call inviting me to go see a play in Portland at Portland Center Stage Gerding Theater. My friend, Kathy, had PREVIOUSLY bought tickets for SOME family members to go see it but her hubby was noT feeling well and had to bow out. Thus, I got the invite!

It was raining like crazy, both going and returning home, and guess who forgot to bring their umbrella? It didn't matter once we got into the building from the parking garage just two blocks away. Now, if it had started snowing while we were in
the theater and we had a white blanket of snow covering the earth when we got out,
I would have exclaimed that was a wonderful evening, that nothing could be better. . . but will just have to say it was still great to participate in this holiday performance.

The theater is impressive enough with its winding staircases, built in an old armory building downtown. They had a lobby that had vendors for food and drink which you could purchase before the performance and during intermission also. People came dressed to the hilt and also in jeans and sweatshirts. I just wore my white cords and a red Christmas vest over a white blouse and my clodhopper black boots! I did not feel out of place.

It was a wonderful production and all the actors and actresses were to be commended for their performances but especially Scrooge and Tiny Tim. I didn't really enjoy the last part representing "Christmas Present" tho. My imagination, from reading the book, had made it more enjoyable in my mind --somehow it didn't go over with me BUT it did not ruin the performance as a whole!

Kathy and I had a wonderful night, along with her parents and one of her sons and his wife. I guess you could say that it was an early Christmas present for me!

4 comments:

dot said...

That WAS a nice Christmas present! You and Lynette must live close to each other.

Katney said...

Last year I read A Christmas Carol with eight graders. We went all out--even roasting chestnuts and having a Christmas pudding.

DH and I took a look at all the versions that are available on film. I think that Patrick Stewart's portrayal of Ebenezer Scrooge was my favorite.

Love Bears All Things said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening. How thoughtful that your friend included you.
Mama Bear

Lynette said...

Thanks for this info about the theater--I've been curious about it and now realize I must go see a show there.