Sunday, December 16, 2007

Blog Your Blessing #10


Go here if you would like to participate: Blue Panther

"For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength."
Job 37:6



First of all , in case you didn't already know, I LOVE SNOW! I have lived in places where it snowed a lot -- like southeastern Idaho and upstate New York, among others. Thus, I have had experience with plenty of deep snow, It is true, that I never learned to drive a vehicle, so I don't have to worry about driving on slick, well-packed snow laden streets.

That's the biggest complaint I hear from people who do get snow.

Some complain about having to "shovel out." I love shoveling snow. I used to tell my hubby to watch the three kids while I went out and cleared the circular drive and sidewalks that we had in Ballston Spa, NY. When I finished, I would come back inside and get the kids dressed warm to take them all out to play in the snow. If it were up to me, we would never have come back inside until SPRING when the snow melted. We also made our quota of snowmen and snow forts from which to throw snowballs at each other. Of course that meant we had to roll/pack many snowballs to toss. We played Fox and Geese and made snow angels. . .ahhhhhhhhhh SNOW memories!

Now that my kids are all grown, when it snows, I still make a snowman for the yard and walk around taking photos with my digital camera. BUT before I do that, I find at least three homes who have people older than me and go "shovel them out," clearing their driveway and sidewalks. I only ask that they provide the shovel since I am traveling on foot. They don't understand that I don't want pay for my service nor do I want a meal. . . I just want the pleasure of clearing an area for someone that it might be harder to do if they had to do it themselves. Remember, it is fun for me!

I have to confess that I have been coveting the snow in the mountains surrounding me. I will even admit that I am jealous. Now, if I had learned to drive, that would have solved that problem. . . but I am also patient and it isn't even winter on the calendar yet and we have had snow flurries for several hours in the valley here on two different occasions. First I have to deal with the second part of that Bible quote I started with. . . the rains. We are expecting plenty before we might get snow on the valley floor but I can wait with the hope of it happening. That is my blessing this week: PATIENCE.

I await with patience and expectation another snow like this:

12 comments:

Isadora said...

I'm with you - love the snow, and learned to negotiate a vehicle through it (in Boston with a monster of a Chrysler) - so why does it hardly ever snow in places I live :(

SandyCarlson said...

I too love snow. We must be on the same wavelength because I counted it as a blessing today, too!

Blue Panther said...

I love snow too!

Hope we have our share of it this year.

Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week ahead.

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Snow is lovely and grand... and I too blogged about it... in a negative way to a degree... but seeing the positive in it, if that makes any sense.

kuanyin333 said...

I like the snow too, although I don't see very much of it since living in Maui! I used to like skiing in the old days and throwing snow balls! Happy BYB Sunday!

dot said...

I like this post! I'm sure some folks must think YOU are a snow angel when you shovel them out.

duopastorale said...

So lovely to see real snow!
This I Do...

Unknown said...

i think i'm falling in love with snow... :P

Whatever said...

The memory that always stands out the most for me with snow is just the impression of silence. I always think of that when I think of snow.

Anonymous said...

I love to look at snow - so long as I am wrapped up in the warm.

Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week.

Kerri Farley said...

This is a beautiful post!

Yolanda said...

I love the snow too. Paulie I hope you a lovely Christmas and a happy new year.