Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tis the season for yams. . .

Walking through Walmart the other day, I decided to buy a yam. Now, I love yams but I hardly ever think to buy one. Maybe it's because I bake them and think turning on the oven for one yam is not very thrifty. . . I did it anyway and this was the result. YUM!


The best thing about their preparation is that you don't need to add a single thing to them to eat. They are delicious right out of the skin.

That reminds me of when I was growing up and Mom would get up before the rest of the household to get the old coal stove roaring. She would bake us yams -- not for breakfast but as a treat on the way to school. You see, they did double duty. . . we kept the warm yam in our pocket to keep our hands warm and then just before we arrived at school, peeled it down and ate it! Ü

1 comment:

Love Bears All Things said...

I love them, too. And I agree they're good just as they are. Papa Bear likes butter and cinnamon sugar on his. My Mother used to bake them in a cast iron skillet. We ate them as a snack.
Mama Bear