Monday, October 15, 2007

Mail

During the past two weeks, i have received two letters from relatives out of the blue. Both went to an old address first tho but the good 'ole post office forwarded them.

The first came from a great-niece I have never met. She is working on her family tree and inadvertently told me that my oldest sister had died (with no details.)

Well, I know my big sister hadn't bothered to keep in touch and I stopped writing to her after such a long time of hearing nothing from her but I didn't expect to hear about her death in this way. The relative that wrote probably didn't know I didn't know.

I had planned to one day write to this niece. I don't know her either but she must be one of my nephew's daughter. . . Kate had two boys. I was just shocked to hear of a family member dying by a person that is a complete stranger to me. . .

Today, I got another letter. This time I knew who it was. . . my niece, Sandy. She told me her Mom died August 24th of this year. She also told me that she (my niece) had been married for 25 years and her husband just divorced her. She has three almost grown up kids. The last I heard anything about her, she had gotten married to a man with a small child. i never even saw her at my mom's funeral. She wrote she didn't know what "split the family" but she wanted to mend fences.

Give me a little time and I will write to both of them. . . I was always the letter writer. I just got tired of writing when I never got any letters back. One of them wants genealogy information. The other wants to "mend fences." I hope to get a copy of the photo of my twin and I that my twin had when she died but my big sister kept and wouldn't copy for me.

1 comment:

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm saddened to know of the estranged relationship between you and your family. Someone should have called you about your sister's death regardless. I hope these two letters will lead to much correspondence between you and your nieces.
Mama Bear