Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11 Anniversary Rememberance



I have had this origami crane since the week of 9/11. . . it has a name of one of the victims of that fateful day in our history. A lady went to a paper supply store (that is no longer in business) and bought a large quantity of origami paper and made many of these cranes. Hopefully, you have had the opportunity to read "The Thousand Cranes" *(see below) to understand the significance.

Then she returned them to the store with a victim's name and age listed on each one. They were for customers to take one and pray for the families remaining of the deceased listed. I chose this one because I like green for growth reminder and I am reminded that although Jean (and so many others) will not have another opportunity to "grow," I can remember her and the others as I continue to have the opportunity to grow up in the United States as a free individual. I imagine I shall pray for Jean's family the rest of my life.

The other thing that is appropriate for today's blog is this button a friend sent me from Connecticut.

Everyone in their school had a button and they made ones for families and friends also. My friend, Stacie sent it to me. Kids from her school designed many of them. Each year on the anniversary of 9/11, I wear it to remind me of this tragedy and how people in the US came together like no other time in my life. God bless America! I am proud to live here. I continue to pray for America.

postscript on Sadako and The Thousand Cranes:

The paper crane has become an international symbol of peace in recent years as a result of it's connection to the story of a young Japanese girl named Sadako Sasaki born in 1943. Sadako was two years old when the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945. As she grew up, Sadako was a strong, courageous and athletic girl. In 1955, at age 11, while practicing for a big race, she became dizzy and fell to the ground. Sadako was diagnosed with Leukemia, "the atom bomb" disease.
Sadako's best friend told her of an old Japanese legend which said that anyone who folds a thousand paper cranes would be granted a wish. Sadako hoped that the gods would grant her a wish to get well so that she could run again. She started to work on the paper cranes and completed over 1000 before dying on October 25, 1955 at the age of twelve.

The point is that she never gave up. She continued to make paper cranes until she died.
Inspired by her courage and strength, Sadako's friends and classmates put together a book of her letters and published it. They began to dream of building a monument to Sadako and all of the children killed by the atom bomb. Young people all over Japan helped collect money for the project.

In 1958, a statue of Sadako holding a golden crane was unveiled in Hiroshima Peace Park. The children also made a wish which is inscribed at the bottom of the statue and reads:

"This is our cry, This is our prayer, Peace in the world".

Today, people all over the world fold paper cranes and send them to Sadako's monument in Hiroshima.

ALSO see:

The Thousand Cranes

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

God bless America, indeed. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us.

Love Bears All Things said...

Paulie, yes I have read the book, Let's Roll. I did a book report on it for one of my clubs. There was a plane crash in PA when I lived there. The book reminded me of it. We lived on a golf course in Aliquippa. Debree from the crash landed on the course. They set up the clean up station at the grocery store where I shopped.
I do not know about the Thousand Cranes you referenced.
Mama Bear

Trinity said...

Hai Paulie... God bless America!
you are tagged by me! check this out..http://www.ruangsudut.info/2007/09/another-tag-about-me.html

-tnchick- said...

I hadn't known about the cranes - how wonderful is that...

Patricia said...

I head the story of the Thousand Cranes, and what a beautiful reminder your crane is to pray for a victim's family. God Bless America and the families and friends of all those who perished on Sept. 11, 2001, and those who have died to defend our freedom since.

Andree said...

The crane, I feel, is the most beautiful way to remember the victims. It is so thoughtful and full of compassion and love. I'm glad I learned about it.