Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Happy birthday, America!


Tomorrow will be our nation's 231st birthday. I am writing this today because i might not get any computer time tomorrow if i do what I am hoping -- to celebrate.

I like to make cards for celebrations but this was my first year to actually do it for the 4th of July celebration. I have been getting 4th of July cards from a friend for years now but she was too busy to make them this year she said. I missed getting one from her. NO ONE else I know sends out cards to celebrate America's birthday. . . I even made one for each of my present room mates.

In the morning, I will go to Fort Vancouver and watch the opening military ceremonies and stay for some musical groups. I would stay all day and leave after the fireworks but I have no way to get home and I live on the opposite side of the city. . .

Then, I hope to go for a hike out in Salmon Creek area. They have a wonderful paved trail and since it will be a beautiful, hot day, I hope to get some nice photos. At the end of the trail, there is a bus route which I will take mostly home. . . always have to walk the last two miles since I am not near a bus stop presently. Not sure but if the swimming area isn't too crowded, I might take off my shoes and wade a bit. It is supposed to be at least 97 degrees.

At 10:00 PM, the fireworks will be broadcast over a local TV station so will watch from home. They advertise it as the biggest fireworks show west of the Mississippi. It should be a great one, especially since rain is NOT predicted for it this year.

On Thursday, I hope to go downtown to Esther Short Park to listen to some free music on the stage there. They have Thursday evening concerts from 6:00-10:00 PM. I will take my camera and a book. . . what I should do is figure out how to use wireless internet since the park has had that for about 5 years now. One day. . .

So, happy birthday, America! May you be blessed with many more.

No comments: