Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ABC Wednesday - Year 2 -- #10



Go here if you would like to join us for ABC Wednesday. . . Mrs Nesbitt

This was a difficult task for me this week. I couldn't think of any photos I had already taken to use for "J" nor could I think of any to take. Thus, I resorted to using the dictionary to find a word beginning with "J" and I might have accomplished my mission . . .

I thought about going over to jack in the Box fast food place and take a picture but decided against that. I had a couple boxes of Jello and could take photos of them or better yet, make some Jello and then photograph it. . .maybe a photo of some of my junk jewelry? Nah! Oh, I know! I took some photos of jet streams the other day and I have plenty of jet photos to accompany them since the Portland Airport is just across the river. . . nah, too common. I have to use the dictionary to find one. . .

My word is JUXTAPOSITION.

Now, how am I going to demonstrate that? I know!!!!!!! Wiith card supplies. I need to make my son a birthday card. . . his birthday is in April but it sneaks up on one if you aren't careful. . . My son is a firefighter and I went to three craft places looking for a fire engine, fire hydrant or a fire hose rubber stamp but none were to be found. I did find a tiny fire engine but it looked like a kiddy car and my son is going to be 38!

"JUXTAPOSITION" means "the act of placing two or more things side by side."

OK, these supplies I will need are all "side by side" -- I wonder if that will work?


Somehow, I think I probably need some order to my "side by side" (juxtaposition) -- maybe this?


How about this? Isn't it lining up nicely?



Final product: each piece is placed in an orderly manner side by side. YES! That's JUXTAPOSITION!"



47 comments:

Andrea said...

I feel honored to have learned a new word today. Nice post.

Paulie said...

Testing

PostcardsfromPaulie

Rune Eide said...

That was a highly original J! My recommendation. I also jilted jet as just a junk. So I chose something that only about ten others (mostly males I suspect) have chosen.

FO - 2 said...

;) Creative! :)

Unknown said...

Nice Post for "J"!

mrsnesbitt said...

I studied Drama and often came across this word. It has amazing reasoning and is so appropriate in many art forms.

Have fixed my pictures now...Blogger/Picassa???? Both the same, so both have problems! What a start to any day!

Rune Eide said...

Hello - me again just to tell you that I think Blogger has some real speed problems, and has had them for a while.

ArneA said...

I thought juxtaposition needed sone kind of contrast like black and white
Interesting J

Daryl said...

Clever!

DeeMom said...

Super idea and post...

Anne-Berit said...

I liked your J-post,very original.Have a nice day:o)

Patty said...

Very interesting post!

dot said...

Interesting post and very original!

Michele said...

Wow... this was a cool post. Fun fun fun!!

Love Bears All Things said...

I love what you did for the card. I want to learn to do that. Someday. Did I tell you about the store called Archivers they opened here. I haven't been but looked at it online. They have supplies and classes. I might sign up for one after my quilt class.
I have bought lots of stamps on sale but not learned how to use them.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

Fun J and the end product is great!

Leslie: said...

*applause* Fantastic! You came up with something totally original and made something useful out of it! Bravo! :D

Lilli & Nevada said...

Wow that is great word, wonder if i can remember that. NAH! But good choice. Love the finished product

Silly Goose said...

I do hope your son appreciates all the trouble you've gone to to make him such a neat card! ;-)

photowannabe said...

That's just the best j post. I think you win the prize for the most way out word choice. A++++

Berit T said...

Very creative post!!

Mrs Mac said...

Very original solution! LOL!

Dragonstar said...

Excellent word, and nicely described. Great end-product, too!

HOW did you just make that link? I'd love to know.

Neva said...

I thought of this world but could not figure out how to post it....nicely done!

Pernille said...

Creative and funny photo you have to day:)

Miss Robyn said...

ahh just like a JIGSAW!! putting bits together til it all fits...

jelly is exactly the same as your jello - (you mix it up with water, let it set and eat it!) - thanks for visiting :)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hey Paulie,
2 things at one moment? Looks more like a 3 D card or whatever the word you named is too difficult to repeat here, great post well done.

Greeting from ABC's 'J' JoAnn :)

Miss_Yves said...

A brilliant idea (How to explain an abstaction...)and a funny "production" (mise en scène"
The result is very nice !
Miss Yves

Liz Hinds said...

What a fabulous card! Your son is very fortunate.

Randi said...

That was a creative J...:))

becky aka theRAV said...

Cool post. Neat idea. Good word & you did it well.

Pat said...

Well, you did so well for "J"!

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos.

Susan said...

I love learning a new word. I love your card and I know your son will too!

Diana S said...

excellent J !! very unique!

dixymiss said...

Fun piX ~ and many thanX for a yummy new "X" word to add to my collection!

Sharon said...

This was a wonderful and fun post! Thanks. The card is very pretty!

Katney said...

It works for me!

And sometimes those odd shots are just an intersting juxtaposition of unlikely things.

Jan said...

Very clever, I'm glad you didn't just go to Jack in the Box.

AVCr8teur said...

Congratulate yourself for coming up with some creative ideas for J.

Powell River Books said...

Very unique and I liked how you walked us through it. You are a great teacher. - Margy

Dragonstar said...

Did it! Thanks Paulie, I can make my own links now!

Anonymous said...

A very good demonstration of juxtaposition! :)

I chose the same word for my ABC Wednesday “J” post because I read that “Juxtaposition” has a special meaning in photography ... It means to compare two or more elements within a picture by placing them side-by-side, above or below each other in order to bring out the similarity or dissimilarity between them.

Friendly greetings from Istanbul,

Jane said...

Love it!

Nydia said...

Cool and fun idea, Paulie! Loved your text too. Thanks for stopping at my place and commenting on my J post! Kisses from Nydia

Lynette said...

Super-dooper J post, Paulie.

VP said...

I think that takes the award for the longest J word! Good thinking there!

kml said...

Very clever and very nicely demonstrated with your photos. Well done!