Monday, March 03, 2008

Building Bridges -- March 2008


RuneE is sponsoring this monthly challenge on the first Monday of every month. Building Bridges is subject to open interpretation. I have taken a very wide and literal interpretation for this month. . . They are still "building" this bridge and it should be finished this summer but I couldn't wait to share it with everyone. We have been wanting this for years. Now, it is built to celebrate a special event for the Northwest commemorating Lewis and Clark's expedition in our area.

Our city, Vancouver, Washington is almost finished with this bridge. It is a pedestrian bridge and starts near the old Fort Vancouver replica,


crosses over Hiway 14 and ends at the Old Apple Tree Park,


famous for having the oldest apple tree in the northwest.

This is a photo of the architects plan that is posted across the street from the Old Apple Tree Park. Click on photo to read more about it on the sign. You can also read more about it here: Confluence Project Along the Columbia River. The project itself is a bridge between Washington history and the present day.


I took this photo in a moving car as we were headed west on Hiway 14. The bridge is almost finished. It was supposed to have a completion date of 2007 so we are anxious to use it soon.

Hope you enjoyed learning about my first entry for "Building Bridges." I will update on this challenge when I get to walk across the bridge on its official opening day this summer.

19 comments:

Katney said...

A Bridge to Be!

I have a non-bridge bridge on my blog tonight, too.

Anne said...

YES !! I loved it, your reflektions for the "Bridges between"

Nice week to you, wishes you from Norway.

Rune Eide said...

I must say this was interesting - a bridge in the making! Connecting people across the modern great divide: The High-way.

I have been twice in this area of the West-coast: Vancouver Canada (!), and Seattle, Washington. The nature (and people) made it feel like home.

Rune Eide said...

Me again - I forgot to say that I have adde you to our roll-call.

Gerald (SK14) said...

That is very interesting - to answer your query on mine - a roving bridge is a canal bridge that allows horses towing a canalboat to cross over to the other side of the canal without being unhitched - there are links and explanations about this on some of my previous canal posts - check the "waterways" tag if you want to find them.

Daniel J Santos said...

Very interesting, one excellent moment,well done.

imac said...

Very enjoyable, Bridge Between.

ArneA said...

A correct interpretation of the Theme. Bridging Gaps.

Pernille said...

What a great bridge!!
Have a nice day:)

ANNA-LYS said...

A lovely theme on the bridge project:

Bridging past into our future, while we are standing in the present.

Thank You for sharing this interesting information!

Anna-Lys

Sweden

Love Bears All Things said...

It alwasys is scary to me to walk across a highway on a bridge. I'm happy America is building more pedestrian walks. Traveling with J, I am often confronted with no cross walk signals, no designated walking areas on roads. We've become a mobile society but hopefully that is changing. I see more people out walking than a few years ago.
Mama Bear

GundaM said...

wow, i like it ;)

And what an appletree!

Love from Norway and GundaM
(sorry my english...)

GAWO said...

I have never been in Vancouver. Interesting brigde.
:-)

Anne-Berit said...

A Bridge to be,very interesting.Have a nice day!!!:o)

FO - 2 said...

A bridge with a sure touch.
Vancouver is a beautiful city with friendly people! :)

Anonymous said...

Great shots. Brigdes are very different, thats for sure.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post. It always amazes me the amount of time it takes to complete the road/bridge projects.

Oh, btw... I may not always have the time to fully participate in the "Bridges between" which is why I haven't asked to be included in RuneE's blogroll. I'll enjoy it when I can, though :-)

Sharon said...

Hi Paulie! This was a wonderful addition the the Bridges Between project! whoever thought up that Bridge had a great idea!

Lew said...

The photo opportunities from the other side of this bridge should be awesome! Looking forward to seeing your walk across this bridge.