Sunday, March 02, 2008

Blog Your Blessings Sunday #19


Go here if you would like to participate: Blue Panther

PLEASE CLICK on the photo to enlarge so you can experience the beauty as I did. . .


Sometimes its hard to choose a blessing to focus on for this project because I have received so many. So to make it simple, I chose a photo I took recently while on a hike in the city. If you walked by this "object" on the ground, you might understand why I found its simplicity something special, my blessing for this week.

Since you didn't walk by it, I hope you clicked on it to enlarge it and see it for what it really is. It's not just a rotted out tree stump -- it's a thing of beauty! Look at the intricate curves of the outer bark. Is it really just one tree or many trees grown together as one? I will never know because I didn't see it before the trunks were cut off to this level. I just know that when I saw it I had to take a photograph of it.

Did you see the heart shape in the upper-left? (It is the second part down on left top.)I can also see a hippo and a duck or a rabbit with short ears. But I also see how the autumn leaves have snuggled in to seek refuge and protection from the winter snows and how the things around it pale into comparison. The beauty of this simple object at the end of its life stands out above the grasses, the weeds, the colors around it. It's a thing of beauty and I'm glad it came into my life. Simple things are such a blessing! May there always be simple pleasures to bless our lives.

10 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Paulie,
What a beautiful post. Life returns to life. Even a hardened old stump does that. Thanks for sharing this important observation. You made my morning.

Happy BYB Sunday.

Sharon said...

It is a blessing to see beauty all around you! You have a good eye. I did see the heart.

kuanyin333 said...

I agree--simple things are so beautiful, and when we examine them with awareness as you did with this trunk, we see such artistry and complexity! Happy BYB Sunday!

Whatever said...

The thing is, that tree stump is also the home of many, many organisms that are alive. There's fungus, bacteria, perhaps some insects. While the tree might be dead, that doesn't mean the end of life.

hotdogman said...

Cool!

Instead of "stop to smell the flowers," it's "stop and view the stump!"

Stopping and noticing MATTERS.

Anonymous said...

I agree it is a beautiful post - the wonder of nature herself.

Happy BYB SUnday and have a great week.

CyberCelt said...

I will never look at a stump the same way. Thanks, Paulie!

Blue Panther said...

Nice Picture!!!

I am glad I clicked on the picture to enlarge it and saw the picture for what it really is.

Love Bears All Things said...

Well done! I think it looks like a flower.
Mama Bear

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Wonderful! A creative blessing on many levels... and yes, much to see when you stop and look, isn't there? :)