Saturday, January 13, 2007

Another birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. I tried to post here last night but kept getting a "spinning ball" so gave up and went to bed. It was a long day. Now I am up early and the blog was working again so here I am.

Each year that I have my own class, I bring the "makings" for banana splits so each child can help me celebrate my birthday. The kids get to make many choices while deciding what ingredients they want for building theirs. They have a great time. I do too -- just watching them make choices. Hopefully, it will be something they remember years from now. I know I will. I like making memories for myself and others, especially the kids I teach.

It was a special birthday for me this year. I have been so sick, I didn't think I would live to see another one. (Hard to believe when just two years ago, I walked the whole Portland Marathon.) My preschoolers asked me how old I was. . . they knew I was a grandma. I told them "259" and they said "nooooooooooooo." So I said they were correct, I was really 125. They didn't believe that either so I finally said I was 39 and they thought that was good. Ü So, I reckon I will be 39 for them.

I have a new internet friend in Alabama who also stamps cards. We have been corresponding only a month but she sent me a bunch of goodies for stamping cards using some new card making techniques. I only hope I get some time to use them soon! It was surely a wonderful surprise.

I ordered some CDs from Banjophil, a teacher who is musically inclined. They came in time for my birthday also. I haven't listened to them all yet. Hope to put a few songs of his on my new iPod shuffle -- when I get it to work. Phil and his family are coming to WA state in May so maybe I will get to meet them if they have time.

My other long time internet friend in Connecticut sent me some special products I love from Bath and Body Works online (when I couldn't get the site to work for me). The local store has discontinued them so was very happy to receive the surprise package in the mail from her. Now, I have asked her if she will help me get more and I will reimburse her and she said she will so am happy to do so. Now I won't run out of my favorites. Ü

Last year Stacie gave me an Amazon gift certificate and it took me almost a whole year to decide what to get. I got Jeff Wignall's digital photography book and a SHUFFLE . . . well, I did pay the balance for the shuffle but might not have gotten around to buying one if I had not had the gift certificate to use. Now if I can only get it to work!

Going to go out to eat at Applebees sometime this weekend with friends here. Last night after work, I went to eat at Wendy's and had some of their great chili.

The best part of my birthday was another early present . . . SNOW! We got it on Wednesday and still have some on our lawns and in the higher elevations. We played in it first, at school and then, after work when I dropped my purse off at home and headed out for a walk to take photos.

I took quite a number of them but unfortunately there was a lot of glare because of the night lights. Will add soem later. It was fun walking around and I estimate it was around 4 miles. Then I came home and shoveled off my sidewalk and 8 neighbors' sidewalks too! I love to shovel snow. Then I tried to make a snowman but the snow had turned to powder, unlike when it first fell as a wet snow. BUT because of the first big snowfall we had this year, I got to celebrate my birthday a little early. Thanks to God who heard my prayers for snow!

No comments: