Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Freedom

I went down to the Fort Vancouver Reserve today for the all day celebration, intending to stay only part of the day and I did sicne I left around 2:00 PM.

This year it was a bit different as they did not start with the flag ceremony bringing in the colors. I was glad to see it happen after a high school singing contest tho. The military, dressed in their uniforms, carried the flags onto the huge stage. AND they did have us stand up if we had served -- or knew anyone who had served -- during the song for each branch of the military. I stood with tears running down my cheeks as I remembered my sons who are both in the Navy and my brother and a brother in law who served in the Air Force.

To me, that's celebrating the 4th of July with pride. I didn't need to wait for fireworks. That and the music that the military band performed was my CELEBRATION. Happy 4th of July, America!

No comments: